Saturday, April 26, 2014

Time for Introductions: Hope

Hello dear readers!

Before I begin telling you about my travel adventures thus far, let me tell you a little bit about myself.  I am 22 years old (at least for the next two months). I recently graduated from Pennsylvania State University with a degree in History and am currently working for City Year; an Americorps program that aims on lowering the national drop-out rate. I enjoy reading, kayaking, hiking, traveling (obviously) and general silliness. I dislike beets, close-minded people, frivilous conversation and the cold.

As Alisa mentioned we are both aiming to teach in South Korea next year. I have been accepted into the EPIK (English Programs In Korea) program but have not yet been assigned a school. One of the reasons I chose to do this is because I wanted to emmerse myself in a completely different culutre and because I am still not sure what I would like to do with my life. As a City Year corps member I have spent the past year working in a school and found that I enjoy it a lot, not enough to pursue as a lifetime career, but enough that I could continue doing it for a few years. I know that I enjoy helping people, working with youth, and exploring new cultures. How that translates into a job, I'm not entirely sure yet. I would be more than open to your suggestions!!! : )



Now onto my adventures. I have been blessed to have two sets of grandparents that have been able and willing to take me on trips as well as friends who are willing to road trip with me. My grandmothers preferred method of travel is the cruise ship; I have been on cruises to the Caribbean, the Bahamas and Europe. Cruises are not my favorite method of travel but you do get to see a lot in a short period of time. For instance this summer we will be cruising the Mediterranean, where I will see; Venice, Rome, Naples, Athens, Dubrovnik, Mykonos, Kusadasi, Florence, Toulon, and Barcelona, but only for a day each. : (   I won't bore you with the details of all those trips right now but I would love to tell you the pros and cons of ships as well as the highlights of some of the places I have visited.

My grandfather has taken the family on trips to Costa Rica and Hawaii thus far. Both were absolutely gorgeous and well worth the plane ride. My favorite thing in Costa Rica was the zip-line tour we did through the jungle and my least favorite were the howler monkeys, especially when I was in the open air shower. We stayed on the Island of Kauai for the entirety of our Hawaii trip. My favorite thing there was the hike along the Na Pali coast and my least favorite was the slightly overcast weather we experienced in January. Again, I would be more than willing to go into greater detail in a later post if you would like.
(Na Pali Coast hike)

I have also been on family vacations to almost all of the Great Lakes and all over the East Coast of the United States. Lake Michigan was a particular favorite of mine, as well as Vermont in the fall, Plymouth Massachusetts and D.C. in spring.
Plimoth_Plantation_2002.JPG (1600×1200)
(Plimoth Plantation, Plymouth, MA)

My own adventuring has taken me to New Zealand; on a road-trip through Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Colorado, on a 7 National Park tour; a road trip from PA to CO, through 10 states from beginning to end; and this summer a road trip through England. I will go through these three trips in greater detail in my next blog post as these are my own adventures and this blog is about my adventuring not my families. I promise that my future posts won't be so boring and much more informative or silly depending on my mood.
(Parthenon, Nashville, TN)

Happy Travels!!

No comments:

Post a Comment