Monday, June 29, 2015

A Book Review and a Yoga Challenge!

Hello all! I've been feeling super productive recently, so here comes another post!

First off, a book review! Last week YC and I went on a book date where we each bought the other person one of our favorite books. I bought YC The Name of the Wind; my absolute favorite book. YC bought me The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.

I finished my book in only a couple days, It was a super easy and quick read. The story is written in first-person from the point of view of a unique kid who attends a special needs school. Though it is not directly stated in the book, it is fairly clear that Christopher is on the Autistic Spectrum.


Here is a link to the Goodreads page.




I work in an Autistic Support classroom, so the book was especially poignant to me (and I'm sure anyone who knows someone on the spectrum). The writer does not fall on the spectrum himself, but he does an amazing job of portraying the way someone with Autism's mind might work. I could recognize a lot of the behaviors and reasoning of the children I worked with. It is wonderful to read a book written so lovingly from the point of view of someone on the spectrum. The end of the book feels a bit abrupt, but the rest of it is great. I would definitely recommend it: 4 out of 5 stars.


I'm attributing my productivity and peppiness yesterday and today to the fact that I decided to try out yoga. One of my favorite bloggers, This American Girl, I began following for her travel posts, but became enthralled by her yoga posts. Her posts about how yoga has changed her life, and the beautiful yoga pictures ignited a desire to try it for myself.


Using my mom's yoga mat. Maybe I'll get my own sometime.


I started looking up yoga stuff on Pinterest and found some free yoga videos. Yesterday I decided to try a 20 minute beginners yoga video by Adriene at Yoga with Adriene. I loved it! I am always so sore and the poses stretched out my muscles so well! I ended up doing the 20 minute video twice yesterday.

I am telling you about this because today I began Adriene's 30 Days of Yoga Challenge. I figured that telling you about the challenge on here would help me stick to it. Now that I've told you all I can't back out. If I wimp out I give you permission to heckle me.


Sorry this post didn't have very exciting pictures.


Have any of you read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time? What did you think? Anyone out there a yogi? Do you love it? How has it impacted your life.
Please feel free to heckle me about the 30 Day challenge, though support would be cool too :P

-Alisa


P.S. All opinions are my own. YC bought me the book and no one asked me to plug their blog. I just love them and I thought you might too!

No comments:

Post a Comment