Sunday, November 9, 2014

Photo Sunday: Brain Tumor 5K

Before you get super excited, no I did not run a 5K. My mom and I walked it. I am probably physically capable of running it, but I would just hate everything and everyone the whole time. So I walked instead.


This lovely photo is from the start of the race/walk. We were wearing purple to honor the teacher I work with. She has a brain tumor, and has had one for a couple of years now.
Her family often does races for brain tumor research, which inspired the race in my hometown.

Other teachers and people from the community organized the run/walk, which was this morning, in her honor.

The actual brain tumor awareness color is grey, which is a lame color. The teacher, who I am not naming because I'm not sure she'd want the extra publicity (the current amount stresses her out), picked purple instead of grey because it is far more fun.

Many of the teachers and other staff got together on Thursday night to dye parts of our hair purple as well. It is hard to see in the picture, but I have two purple streaks which I braided into a headband.

The race was a lot of fun, and the turnout was amazing. Plus that many people with purple hair is fun to see.


On a more serious note. Brain tumor research is important and if you'd like to donate to the cause or just learn more, visit the National Brain Tumor Research Society Page.


Have you ever done a 5K? Did you walk like me? Check out the tumor research page, maybe donate, or do a 5K for it sometime yourself. I'd love for there to be a way to help the teacher I work with. Hopefully the 5K today helped.
-Alisa

No comments:

Post a Comment